Friday, May 17, 2013

The countdown is on: Facing my weight loss challenges


A couple of months ago, my sister called with some great news, she was engaged and would be getting married in Nov 2013.  I was beyond excited for her and we basked in all the joy of a new engagement, but once I got off the phone, it hit me; this means that I will have to wear a bridesmaids dress in a couple of months.  Fear quickly took over me and I went into panic mode.  I know this is my sister’s big day, but I started thinking about how bad I would feel when years from now I looked at her pictures and I saw just how much weight I had picked up. You know that feeling when you see a picture of yourself and you cringe when you see just how those few extra pounds have translated on film.  I vowed then that I was going to do something, but just like every other time, I slacked off after a couple of days, telling myself that I had plenty of time.   Over the past 7 years I have struggled with my weight.  Before having Haiden, I joined weight watchers and I did pretty well, almost reaching my goal weight before we found out we were expecting.  I later rejoined after her birth and was doing well until once again I found out I was expecting Madison. Since having Madison two and a half years ago, I have found myself in a constant battle of taking the extra weight off. It’s sad to admit but at the time I gave birth to Madison, I had let my weight get to over 200 lbs., and she only weighed 6lbs, 2oz. I knew I had let my pregnancy weight get out of hand when my doctor told me at one of my visits that I looked like I had two drum sticks on the side of my body.  Since then I have made several attempts at getting the weight off but I would always lose motivation and give up.  One of my problems is that I tend to be an emotional eater. I think it all started in 2004 when Isaiah went to Iraq and over the years I have found myself falling back into it depending on what is going on in my life. I love food, especially good food, so when we moved to Dallas, Isaiah and I became acquainted to the city by searching out all the good food spots and boy did we find them. With this last transition back to the East coast I have found myself falling back into it again and I have slowly watched my weight creep back up close to the 200 lbs mark. 
Determined to take back my body I have made a commitment to take the weight off and keep it off.  To help me with my goal, I have joined the YMCA, and I make sure that I consistently attend cardio classes. To help me out even more, I have also downloaded some fitness apps (Nike Training club, fit ID, and My fitness pal) that will help guide my workouts when I am at the gym to make sure I am on track.  With our life being so chaotic, I do not have the time to start attending weight watchers meetings but I know that having that accountability really motivates me so I have decided that I will blog about my adventures along the way of my weight loss plan. Each week I will post about my struggles, my successes, the workouts I have done and my weight. Yes, you heard me right I will be posting my weight.  I think that this is one way that I will make sure to stay committed this time. Anyone who has tried to lose weight knows that it is not as easy as it seems so I hope that it will serve as not only a motivation for me but for others who are struggling to get the weight off.  So now the work begins….

No comments:

Post a Comment